“The Importance of Fatherhood” by Ross Phillips
From their website: “We exist to love at-risk children by providing a Christian adult of character and vision to become their role models and companions. We match Christian adults with youth from the community who are lacking a father/mother (or sometimes both) and are in need of a positive role model.”
This subject really hits me hard because I didn’t grow up with a dad and what little interaction I’ve had with him has been pretty bad. But as I was studying for a sermon I preached, I found statistics about fatherless homes. As I read with tear-filled eyes, I praised the Lord that I didn’t fall into these stats, but it broke my heart knowing that so many more in my situation did. Here are just a few that I used in the sermon:
- 63% of youth suicides come from fatherless homes
- 90% of homeless come from fatherless homes
- 71% of high school dropouts come from fatherless homes
- Youth from fatherless homes are more likely to use drugs, drink, and engage in sexual activities.
- Individuals from fatherless homes are more likely to have a marriage end in divorce.
- The number of single mothers has tripled since 1960.
- 24 million kids (34% of children) in America are fatherless.
There is a need for fathers–for Bible-believing, Bible-teaching, God-fearing, God-following, humble, loving fathers.
Click here to continue reading the rest of the post.